Dear 16 Year Old Self

  A few weeks ago, I posed a question to my readers asking what I should write about. I got some really good answers! This is my first "request" post. If I could write a letter to my 16 year old self, what would I say? What have the past 5 years taught me; how has my life been different than I expected? Although my maturity level has always been higher than my respective age, I still went through many of the same experiences of a typical high schooler. Puberty doesn't discriminate, after all, nor does drama.

  Dear 16 year old me,

  I know how alone you are feeling right now, how it feels like there is no guy who will ever want to marry you. How you think your acne will never clear up or that you will never be able to tame the frizz and curls on your head. A school this size leaves slim pickings for true, lifelong friends who want to share their hearts with you, and trust them with yours. All the hours of making awesome music in the band and choir rooms will come to an end, even though it doesn't feel like it. Believe me, I remember.

  I remember the secret hope you carried, to marry a high school sweetheart and live happily ever after the way Mom and Dad are. Convincing yourself that the guy you've been nursing a crush on will someday see you the way you think you see him. I remember hearing about the parties and sleepovers that all the other girls experienced that you so rarely were invited to.

  I remember all the stress of maintaining a GPA that you desperately hope will earn you an Honor's Cord at graduation. That little thought in the back of your mind that maybe you should be a nurse? Yeah, you might want to hold onto that.

  All the late nights at the supper table, road trips, and squeezing into the same pew at church every week? Those memories are gems. Hold them close and never forget how special they are. I know it seems like you'll never stop changing diapers or watching little ones, but those days will end faster than you think. And you'll miss it.

  Things will change.

  The man you've been praying for for years, hoping that he actually exists? He is incredible. He's the love of my life, and all of the lonely times back then are only a distant memory now. You'll grow out of the acne eventually (although in hindsight, if you would stop messing with those zits they'd clear up a lot faster), and believe it or not, your curly hair will actually become one of your favorite bodily qualities. High school won't last forever, and your experiences are only setting the stage for better things to come. The few good friends you have now will still be in your life, just in a different way. Keep playing the piano and the flute, and keep singing! Music is something nobody should grow out of.

  Spoiler alert: you won't have a high school sweetheart, but believe me, you will be totally fine. I only wish you knew that before needlessly going into all the heartbreak you will be enduring. I know you think you're in love, but there is a man coming into your life that will make those feelings seem like child's play. Your future husband is all you've prayed for and more. You will make decisions that lead you close to incredible women. These sisters are gifts. Your biological sisters will become your close friends. Surprisingly, you and Julia actually survived living together prior to you getting married.

  The goals you set for your GPA paid off. In fact, you got an Honor's Cord when you graduated nursing school, too. Yep, that seed planted so long ago will finally bloom, even though it took a trip to Haiti and a stint in youth ministry to do so.

  All these years later, family is still going to be a priority for you, and although the era of diaper changing and siblings blasting into your room in the morning will come to an end, the experiences coming will be just as wonderful.

  So, my 16 year old self, hold onto hope. Embrace the little things. Rest assured, the changes that are coming will be wonderful. God knows what He is doing.

All my love,
Me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing He Can't Handle

What A Detox Did For Me

Trigger Warning