Lemonade Stands

  I was on my way to the library today when I passed a lemonade stand run by a boy about 10 years old. Growing up, my siblings and I used to have lemonade stands or sell sweet corn during the summer and it always made our day to have people stop and buy from us. With that in mind, I went to that stand after my library stop and got a cup.

  This young man running the stand was very sweet and I could tell he was so excited to have a customer. He stood up to pour me a glass and we made small talk for a little while. It really tugged at my heartstrings to see him sitting on the side of the road, and it brought me back to when I was in his shoes. I decided that I would be customer to him just as so many were to me. I hoped that I could bring some joy to him. As it turns out, he ended up giving me a whole lot more than just a delicious glass of lemonade.

  He gave me hope for the world, and he brought joy to my heart.

  Cliche, I know. But lately, especially today, I've been really down. The world is in a dark place, and it has been weighing on me for a while. It seems like there isn't much good left. There aren't many hardworking kids anymore, it feels like I always have to look over my shoulder to be safe, and governments across the globe are losing their minds. But this young man, with his homemade lemonade stand in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, reminded me that work ethic still exists. Love for strangers is possible! One person's presence can make all the difference in the world.

One of the most comforting quotes in the Lord of the Rings trilogy is spoken by Sam to Frodo when they are in a tough place. "There is still some good in this world...and it's worth fighting for." Indeed. There will always be some good in our world, and that is what we need to hold on to. Jesus works through people to remind us how much good there is in the place He created for us. As much as evil and desolation seem to surround us every day, we will always be able to find good somewhere. How often God shows that to us in unexpected ways.

Like today, when our Lord showed me the wondrous good in my interaction with a boy manning his lemonade stand who waved at me as I drove away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing He Can't Handle

What A Detox Did For Me

Trigger Warning